Sunday, January 11, 2009

The talented Mr. M...

I have been wanting to brag on my husband's most recent endeavors for a while now, so here's the latest. Most of you know what a skilled craftsman Mr. M is, he's very handy to have around if you need to build a fire...or a house. He's also your go-to guy if you need help surviving in or navigating through pretty much any environment, oh, and he's now a certified lifeguard. With that said, he has been busy this last year working on some new skills many of you may not know about including knife making, prolific spoon carving (he has also turned out one SWEET Swedish-style drinking cup out of wood) and most recently basket weaving! Yes, basket weaving. I was amazed that his first one- crafted today, was complete in about an hour. It was amazing to see a pile of dry grasses be transformed into a basket by my husband's own hands in such a short time. Is there anything he can't make? So here are some pix of his creations (and yes, the very small spoons are baby spoons, he started carving them when we found out i was pregnant :) Our little girl has the coolest Daddy! What fun she will have learning all his trades. At the bottom are some pictures of her "working" on spoons with Daddy.

Mr. M's most recent knife & a sampling of spoons

look at the excellent carving detail on the top spoon!

the latest knife, and yes, he makes the leather sheaths as well

first basket, interior
exterior
basket, spoon and Swedish drinking cup
very cool!

turning over a"roughed out" spoon
Daddy's little helper, you would think he just gave her candy

the bite test...
by far, the best Quality Assurance officer ever!
also part of the oversight committee
more QA

feedback is a crucial part to QA~always hard at work!

2 comments:

Angie said...

love the spoons. I hope you have a really good vacuum cleaner!

Mary said...

no kidding - I was just going to comment that I can't believe you let him whiddle (is that spelled right?), in the dining room!

Quite impressive, I will be sure to not show my husband your blog so he doesn't get depressed!!!